The largest difference between a quiche and a frittata is that a quiche is built inside of a crust and instead of just an egg, heavy cream is usually what is added but in this recipe choosing to use unsweetened plain almond milk works fantastically. For this bacon and tomato paleo quiche I used grated zucchini as the crust which surprisingly added wonderful texture and flavour to this already tasty dish. Quiches are not only made any more for just breakfast, they can be made for any meal at any time of the day.
Zucchini Hash Crust:
2 small to medium size organic zucchini, grated
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut flour
1 tbsp coconut oil melted
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 tsp flax meal
5 eggs, beaten
3 eggs, seperated using only whites of egg
3 Tbsp unsweetened plain almond milk or coconut milk
5 slices nitrate free bacon, cooked and chopped (no sugar in the ingredients)
2/3 cup cauliflower, ground into rice
1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 small to medium sized tomatoes, sliced (roughly 6 slices)
- Preheat oven to 400 F, and grease or oil pie dish.
- Grate or use processor on zucchini. Wrap grated zucchini in layered paper towels or cheese cloth. Squeeze and drain liquid from zucchini over sink. Place drained zucchini in large bowl.
- Add all the remaining crust ingredients to the zucchini and mix together.
- Place zucchini mixture into pie dish. Use the back of a spoon to spread mixture around pie dish, until dish is covered in zucchini crust mixture.
- Bake zucchini crust in oven for 9 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven (leave oven on). Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl combine: eggs, egg whites, milk of choice, ground mustard, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Grate or use processor on the cauliflower until rice texture forms.
- Add cauliflower rice, chopped spinach, and chopped bacon to the egg mixture and combine.
- Pour egg mixture into zucchini crust.
- Place tomato slices on top of quiche.
- Bake for 28 minutes, but check at 20 minutes to see if crust edges are browning too much.
- Loosely cover the top of pie dish with a parchment paper sheet. Place back in oven for remaining 8 minutes, or until top is browned and centre is firm and set.
- Remove and let cool.