These delicious bacon shrimp stuffed sweet potatoes are excellent as an appetizer or a side to a meal. The shrimp alone in this recipe adds 24 grams of protein. Mashed sweet potatoes have a wonderful consistency and do not take much added ingredients like ghee to make them creamy. A very important note for this recipe along with many stuffed sweet potatoes or even regular white potatoes, you need to double the amount of potatoes you bake to what you are going to stuff. This recipe is to serve 4 this is why 8 potatoes are required. If you want to make these a head of time or on the a Sunday for the work week a head, you it is best to freeze them before heading into step 8 where you bake for an additional 15 minutes. This way they are not over cooked for when you thaw and warm them up another time.
8 sweet potatoes
1 lb. large raw shrimp, de-veined and tails removed, cut into thirds
6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 green onions, thinly sliced, keep some of the green for garnishing
1 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp dried oregano
½ tsp cayenne pepper
6 tbsp ghee
Paleo Cooking fat; coconut oil, olive oil, or animal fat
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
olive oil, to coat the potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 450 F.
- Rub the potatoes with the olive oil, place them on a baking sheet and bake for about 40 to 45 minutes or until soft.
- While potatoes are baking; over a medium high heat, melt cooking fat of choice and add the garlic, and the green onions. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the green onions and garlic, cook for 2 to 3 minutes then add the paprika, chili powder, dried oregano and cayenne pepper. Stir and cook until shrimp are done, about another 2 to 3 minutes.
- When potatoes are done, let them cool down and leave the oven on.
- Slice the potatoes in half horizontally and carefully scoop out the flesh into a big bowl, making sure to keep the skins.
- Mash the sweet potatoes until smooth then add the crumble bacon, the shrimp mixture, the ghee, season to taste and combine everything well.
- Stuff the potato skins with the filling, return to the oven and cook for another 15 minutes.
- When done remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining green onions.