Fresh and flavourful slaw that will awaken your taste buds and open your eyes to a different way to enjoying delicious brussel sprouts. Lots of optional toppings to add to this already wonderful slaw, whether you decide to use some, all, or even none.
1 cup pecans or pine nuts, toasted
1/2 pound bacon, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup dijon mustard
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 pounds brussel sprouts, trimmed
2 green onions, sliced diagonally
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 cup cranberries, dried
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds, fresh
1/2 cup purple cabbage, fresh
1/2 cup kale, fresh
Fruit; apples, grapes, orange
- If your pecans or pine nuts aren’t already toasted, then simply heat a large skillet over medium heat, toss your pecans in, and toast until fragrant, being careful not to burn.
- In a large sauté pan or skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan, saving the bacon grease. If you have more than 1/4 cup of bacon grease, pour some off and save for future use. Crumble up the bacon and set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk mustard, vinegar, and lemon juice together, set aside.
- Using a knife or mandolin slice the brussel sprouts and place in bowl.
- Heat the skillet with the bacon grease over medium heat, and add the sliced brussel sprouts, sautéing until softened and slightly browned. Take off heat and place in a large bowl.
- Pour the mustard, vinegar, lemon, and olive oil mixture over the sprouts, stirring to combine. Mix in 1/2 the pecans or pine nuts, all the bacon and green onion, and any other optional ingredients you choose. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place slaw in a serving dish and serve with the remaining pecans or pine nuts on top.