When making this Butternut squash lasagna, the ingredients listed below was all that I had on hand at the time and wanted to create something that would be delicious, and it was absolutely amazing. Now extra vegetables can be added in to the mix. Lasagna is an excellent at hiding certain vegetables such as spinach, mushrooms, or anything else the picky eaters of the family refuse to eat. To spice up this dish even more, had the idea that in between layers of squash then meat, why not add a layer of zucchini slices. This would add more texture and flavour, like with all recipes feel free to add and subtract and ingredients as you desire.
1.5 lbs. ground beef
1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into thin slices
4 cups tomato sauce
4 oz. tomato paste
1 onion, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
Cooking fat, of choice
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Italian Seasoned Paleo Bread Crumbs
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Melt some cooking fat and sauté the onion and the garlic until softened, about 5 minutes, in a skillet or a saucepan placed over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and cook until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat down to low and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- To prepare the lasagna: alternate layers of butternut squash slices with layers of the meat sauce in a baking dish. Keep making layers until you have used all of the ingredients.
- If using optional bread crumbs sprinkle on before baking. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the squash is soft.
Number of Servings: 4by