Carrot cake alone is a delicious dessert to serve to family and friends. When you add this wonderfully sweet blueberry sauce and creamy and smooth terrifically flavoured coconut whipped cream, turns this ordinary carrot cake into a multi layered dish everyone will love. Now you can do as I did and make individual jars, you can also make one large parfait if you prefer also by just using one large deep bowl. Like any recipe that uses fruit, the one in this recipe below can most definitely substitute for a different fruit of your choosing or what is in season for the most fresh flavour. When making the carrot cake part of this recipe I chose to use smooth paleo almond butter, below I put a link to a previously post recipe for both smooth and chunky homemade paleo almond butter, it is completely your choice. If you make this recipe more than once be sure to try both smooth and chunky.
2 large carrots, finely shredded
⅔ cup smooth almond butter or chunky almond butter, your choice
3 tbsp honey, raw and natural
2 tbsp coconut flour
1 tbsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
½ cup mini dark chocolate chips
Coconut Milk Whipped Cream:
1 – 14 ounces can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp honey, raw and natural
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 tbsp maple syrup, raw and natural
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shred carrots as thin as possible. Place in large bowl.
- Add almond butter and eggs and mix well.
- Then add 3 tbsp of honey, coconut flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Fold in optional mini dark chocolate chips if deciding to use.
- Grease an 8×8 glass baking dish with coconut oil, pour batter into the dish and place in oven. Bake for 35 minutes or until the top of the cake has a nice crust to it.
- Let cool before cutting in bite sized cubes.
- Once carrot cake is cooled and diced, scoop out the coconut cream that has hardened and risen to the top of the can. Leave behind the coconut water to use for something else or throw out.
- Place coconut cream in a bowl and mix with fork or whisk to soften. Then add vanilla extract and 1 tbsp honey and mix well to combine.
- Add fresh blueberries to a bowl with 1 tbsp of maple syrup and place in microwave for 2 minutes and 30 seconds then use a fork to mash up the blueberries. If you do not want to use a microwave, cook over a stove top until blueberries explode.
- Now layer the parfaits. Carrot cake, coconut milk whipped cream, blueberry sauce, then repeat for two complete layers.
Number Of Servings: 3-4 Depending on serving jar sizeby