With Thanksgiving coming up in a few short months, this recipe is amazing for using up any leftover turkey. This recipe is not only good for Thanksgiving, but any time you may have leftover turkey or chicken to use up, yet are not completely in the mood for turkey or chicken as the main source of protein. Sweet potato mashed potatoes are so delicious on their own, but when on a paleo diet lifestyle we are always in need to find paleo friendly ingredients to spice up the dishes we eat. The savoury sweetness of the dried cranberries and sweet but tart apples add a wonderful layer of flavour to the creamy sweet potatoes. When serving up this delicious side, there are two ways you can present it, after having everything mixed together it can be spooned back in to the potato skins, or served up as mashed potatoes.
4 sweet potatoes
2 cups turkey or chicken, broken up in to small pieces, leftovers
4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
¾ cups fresh cranberries
1 large apple, cored and diced
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 cup coconut milk
Coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, of choice
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup roasted pecans, crumbled
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Pierce each sweet potato all over with a fork or a knife and wrap tightly in foil.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the oven and roast for 45 to 50 minutes; then take them out and let them cool down for about 15 min.
- Cut open each potato from end to end lengthwise. Keeping the skins intact, remove the flesh carefully with a spoon, and place the flesh in a big bowl.
- Mash the potato flesh with the coconut milk, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt some cooking fat in skillet placed over a medium-high heat.
- Heat the pieces of turkey or chicken until just warmed through.
- Add the cranberries to the turkey or chicken and cook until soft.
- Add the spinach and nutmeg. Sauté until the spinach has wilted and remove the pan from the heat.
- Mix turkey and cranberry mixture into the mashed sweet potatoes, mix until evenly combined. Add crumbled pecans, if using and mix again until combine well.
- Can be served either back in the sweet potato skins or as is.