Classic chicken pot pie is an excellent dish to make during the colder weather. Being filled with amazing flavours the possibilities are endless when it comes to the vegetables that are used. This recipe is a paleo version of the traditional recipe, while using my favourite and what was on hand for vegetables. Notice how in the recipe it says “chicken or turkey” use what is readily available to you and what you prefer, mine just happens to be chicken. This recipe can also be easily adapted to a Beef Paleo Pot Pie by simply switching the chicken or turkey out for beef chunks, the chicken stock for beef stock. Other than that everything else still remains the exact same. Two recipes in one!
1 carrot, medium and thinly sliced
1 ½ cup Paleo Chicken Stock
1 onion, small and chopped
3 -8oz chicken breasts or turkey breasts, cut into 1-in chunks
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 oz mushrooms, sliced
2 oz broccoli, florets
¼ cup coconut milk
½ tbsp arrowroot
2 tbsp cold water
2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
½ tsp savory, dried
1 tsp thyme, dried
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 ½ cup almond flour, ground
¼ tsp baking soda
3 tbsp ghee or grass-fed organic butter
¾ tsp sea salt
1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Making the dough: In a medium bowl, combine the almond flour, salt and baking soda. Add the shortening and use your fingers to rub the ghee or grass-fed butter into the flour until resembles coarse sand. Add the egg all at once and mix it in with your hands until all of the mixture is moist. Chill the dough for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place chicken or turkey, broth, onion, carrot, celery, broccoli, and mushrooms in a medium sauce pot. Bring to a boil. Add the thyme and savory. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Strain stock into a small saucepan. Mix in coconut milk; bring to a boil. Add arrowroot to a small cup with 2 tbsp cold water, mix well. Pour arrowroot mixture into stock. Whisk and cook 2 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Pour thickened sauce over chicken or turkey and vegetables; stir to coat. Mix in parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove dough from refrigerator. Place between two sheets of unbleached parchment paper and roll out to ¼ to ½ inch thick. Will make 6 individual pot pies using 8 ounce ramekins or one nine inch pot pie.
- Spoon chicken or turkey mixture into a pie pan or individual ramekins. Cut out dough to suit size and lay dough over filling; press down edges with fork to adhere to pie plate rim or ramekin.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until crust is golden brown and slightly puffy. Cover edges of dough with aluminium foil if browning too quickly.