Curd is a traditional spread for many types of desserts like, cookies and cakes. It has a more intense flavour than other common toppings such as, jams and jellys. Making the macaroon is the easy part of this recipe, the hard part comes when making the curd. It is quite easy to accidentally turn the eggs in to scrambled during the preparation of the curd. This is the ghee comes in, by whipping the ghee with the eggs it is a sure way to avoid the scrambled egg problem all together. The step with ghee can be skipped but be extremely careful when heating up the eggs. Some choose not to have honey in there paleo diet lifestyle, however, in this recipe it is used to cut back the intensity of the lemons, the half a cup of honey required can be experiment with possibly starting with a quarter of a cup and work up from there suite your personal level of sweet to tart.
3 cups sweetened coconut flakes
2/3 cup coconut or almond milk
1 egg white
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1/8 tsp sea salt
5 tbsp of ghee, softened at room temperature
½ cup raw honey (natural)
2 egg yolks
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest
Lemon Curd Direction:
- Combine the honey and ghee in a large bowl and beat with a mixer for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the 2 eggs and the 2 egg yolks, one at a time, while beating.
- Add the lemon juice and mix for another minute. At this point, the mixture should look curdled, even though it is not.
- Cook the lemon mixture in a saucepan over a medium-low heat, until it gets smooth and creamy.
- Increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring almost constantly, until the mixture thickens about 15 minutes.
- Try a taste of the curd, and stir in the lemon zest if you’d prefer it a little tangier.
- Transfer the curd to a bowl, cover the surface with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until the curd is cold and thick.
Coconut Macaroon Direction:
- Preheat your oven to 325 F.
- Combine all the ingredients for the macaroons in a large bowl and mix well.
- Scoop out about 2 tbsp of the dough and place on a baking sheet.
- Form the cookies into the shape of little bowls, with a depression in the middle, this is where the curd goes later.
- Place the cookies in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Fill each coconut macaroon with lemon curd and serve.