This recipe for creamy paleo chicken stew most definitely hearty and filling, and is another example of an excellent dish to make loads on the weekend for left over worry free work day lunches. Making stews and soups is a fantastic way to clear out all the vegetables that are not so fresh any more but still edible. Feel free to substitute vegetables for others that suite your preference and even add additional vegetables of your choosing. With it being summer most prefer to cook as little in the house as possible and more on the BBQ, however, on those cold and rainy evenings this dish is perfect to choice.
One 4 lbs whole chicken
½ cup of ghee, or other Paleo fat
2 onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups of homemade chicken broth, may decide to add more the stew too thick
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
5-6 white button mushrooms, sliced or whole
½ cup full-fat coconut milk
2 green onions, sliced
¾ cup of fresh or frozen green peas
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup almond or coconut flour, or any other paleo flour, only purpose is to thicken the stew
- Cut the whole chicken into pieces. Divide it into two thighs, two drums, two wings and two breasts.
- In a large saucepan placed over a medium heat, melt the cooking fat. Add in the chicken pieces and cook until golden brown on all sides. Remove the chicken and put aside until later.
- Add the onions to the same saucepan and cook in the remaining juices. Once they have sautéed and begun to brown, add the garlic and cook for a few minutes together.
- If you wish to add a thickening paleo flour, do so now.
- Whisk in the chicken broth. At this point you will be able to tell if the stew is too thick. If so, feel free to add more broth or stock, or even just water. Do so slowly while continuing to mix.
- Add in the vegetables and chicken, along with any juices from where the chicken was resting. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Allow the stew to come to a simmer, and then cook on low, but still maintain the simmer.
- Cover and cook for approximately 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cream or coconut milk, green onions and peas. Cook for just about another 2 minutes and serve.