2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
2 medium carrots, sliced
2 medium celery stalk(s), chopped
6 slices bacon, cooked and diced (1/2 pound)
1/2 medium onion, yellow, diced
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 cup clams, chopped, drained, reserve liquid
2 tbsps olive oil, or lard
2 tbsps arrowroot powder
1-403ml can coconut milk, full fat
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp parsley, fresh, chopped
1-2 bay leave, fresh, whole
1/2 tsp sea salt, to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
chives, chopped, to top each bowl
bacon, crumbled, to top each bowl
- In a large pot, boil sweet potatoes, carrots, and celery in enough water to cover.
- Cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Do not drain. Set aside.
- While the vegetables are boiling, sauté bacon until crisp in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Set bacon aside, but retain bacon grease in saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic to the saucepan containing bacon grease and sauté until soft. Push onion to the side of pan. Add clams and sauté lightly, about 4 minutes, do not overcook. Remove clams and onion with a slotted spoon, and add to vegetables in pot.
- Add reserved bacon to pot with vegetables and clams.
- Discard excess bacon grease from saucepan. Over medium-low heat, combine olive oil/lard with arrowroot powder. Gradually whisk in coconut milk. Continue cooking, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Do not boil.
- Add the coconut cream sauce from previous step, reserved clam nectar, herbs, and seasoning’s to cooking pot. Heat through but do not boil.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.