This recipe is for those on the paleo diet life style that a pasta lover in the family, who may also just be getting a bit tired of the same old zucchini and spaghetti squash pasta substitute. With lots of trial and error this pasta has finally come together. For this recipe you will need; large mixing bowl, fork and sharp knife, measuring cups and spoons, plastic wrap or dishcloth, cutting board or flat working space, pasta roller or rolling pin. Serve this fettuccine with your favourite sauce.
1½ cups blanched almond flour, finely ground
1½ cups tapioca flour(tapioca starch) plus an additional ¼cup for dusting
1½ tsp himalayan salt or sea salt
2 large eggs
4 egg yolks
2 tbsp of coconut oil, to add to boiling water
olive oil for drizzling onto cooked pasta, roughly 2 tsp
16 cups(4 quarts) of water
- Place water and coconut oil in a large pot. Turn heat on med-high heat and bring to a boil.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together almond flour, tapioca flour and salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour and add eggs. Whisk eggs with a fork and slowly incorporate flour. Roll dough into a ball.
- Sprinkle a large cutting board with a tablespoon of tapioca flour. Knead dough on floured surface for 5 minutes. If dough is too wet, add a bit of tapioca flour. The dough should not stick to your hands and has the texture of play dough.
- Separate dough into 4 equal sized balls, place 3 balls in a bowl and cover with a dry towel or plastic wrap so it does not dry out.
- Sprinkle tapioca flour onto your surface and place a ball of dough on top. Sprinkle ball with more tapioca flour. Using a wooden rolling pin, roll your ball of pasta out to the size of a 3 inch disk. Flip the pasta and sprinkle with more tapioca flour. If it sticks to your rolling pin, sprinkle with more tapioca flour. Continue to roll, flour and flip. Repeat this step until your pasta is ⅛ inch thick or less. The pasta should be a large irregular sized square.
- Using a pizza cutter or shark knife, cut uneven edges off of pasta and set aside. Cut pasta into ¼ inch strips. Set aside on a large plate.
- Follow step 4 with the other three pasta balls that we set aside earlier.
- Gently pick up a quarter of the pasta and add to pot of boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes. Gently remove pasta with a pasta claw and place into a stainless steel colander. Drizzle with olive oil and gently toss.
- Follow step 9 with remaining pasta.