These three homemade sour cream recipes are all ones that I personally have tried and find absolutely amazing. There is a different version of the traditional recipe but these are paleo diet friendly. Nothing helps even out the flavours of a hot and spicy chili, or finish off a delicious Paleo Taco Salad Bowl then a dollop of sour cream on top. Try each different recipe below and see which one suites you and your familys personal taste.
Coconut Milk Paleo Sour Cream
1 can full-fat coconut milk (for better results, use a brand with no guar gum)
¼ tsp sea salt
1½ tbsp lemon juice
- Refrigerate your can of coconut milk for at least 24 hours.
- Open the can and use a spoon to carefully scoop out all of the cream that has separated on top of the milk, which is at the bottom, into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the sea salt and lemon juice.
- Use a hand blender or your mixer to blend the ingredients on high for about a minute, or longer if you want fully whipped sour cream.
- Store in the refrigerator in a sealed container for up to 5 days.
Paleo Mayo Sour Cream
1/2 cup paleo mayonnaise
1/2 cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer to thicken.
- Use as you would traditional sour cream.
Cashew Paleo Sour Cream
3 cups cashews, soaked for at least 4 hrs.
1½ tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon honey (or more to taste)
1½ teaspoons sea salt
½ cup filtered water
- Drain water from the cashews.
- In a high-powered blender, blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Additional salt or honey can be added to your personal taste.