There is no better way to warm up on a chilly day than with a warm, hearty, and healthy bowl of butternut squash soup. With all the wonderful spices used while roasting the squash and vegetables really add take this recipe to a new level of delicious flavours. This butternut squash soup recipe is quite versatile in ways of consistency, the amount of chicken stock listed in the recipe will make for a thick and creamy soup. If you are in the mood for a soupier soup, all you do is add a little bit of chicken stock at a time after the initial directions and stir to combine over low heat until warm. Making this soup recipe in large batches does not take that much extra time, and left overs can be frozen for later.
1 large butternut squash (about 5 lbs), cubed
1 green apple, sliced and cored
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp ghee
3 cups chicken broth*
*Homemade Paleo Chicken Stock Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the butternut squash, olive oil, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp cumin. Mix together, coating the squash well. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Next, in the same bowl as prior step, toss the apple slices, onion, and carrots to coat with the remnants. Place on a second rimmed baking sheet and add both baking sheets to the oven.
- Roast for 35-40 minutes until soft, stirring once.
- Heat up ghee over medium heat in a large pot on the stove. Add the roasted ingredients and then the chicken broth. Add 1 teaspoon each of salt, cinnamon and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or normal blender, combine the ingredients until smooth like puree. Serve warm.