Mushrooms are a wonderful and often forgotten food on a Paleo diet, they are healthy and a tasty addition to almost all meals. They are available all year round at any grocery store and cheap. When having a family and friends gathering this recipe makes for a really fancy appetizer perfect for your guests. I used your simple everyday white button mushrooms which made these irresistible, feel free to use any mushroom that has a big enough area where the stems and gills are to be stuffed like portabello. To add to this already delicious recipe, I sprinkled the tops before baking with a bit of Italian Seasoned Paleo Bread Crumbs to add a bit of crunch, it is completely up to you to use they are magnificent both ways.
20 button mushrooms, stems and gills removed
2 cups cooked crab meat, preferably fresh and finely chopped(if using canned make sure to read ingredient list)
3 tbsp chives, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp Paleo Mayonnaise or the same amount of your favourite mustard
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Italian Seasoned Paleo Bread Crumbs, to dust on top
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients together in a bowl.
- Scoop a generous portion of the stuffing into each mushroom cavity, sprinkle tops of stuffed mushrooms with optional Italian Seasoned Paleo Bread Crumbs with desired amount.
- Bake in the preheated oven on a baking sheet for about 15 minutes.
- Let cool a bit, but serve when still warm.