Scallops can be prepared in many different ways; pan fried with many different seasoning’s, grilled on the BBQ, and in this case oven roasted. This recipe is quick and easy and all done in one pan, the only preparation that is needed is the Basic Paleo Tomato Sauce or Chunky Paleo Tomato Sauce if you do not already have some stored on hand. With the scallops roasting in the oven with the amazing flavour of fresh tomatoes and homemade tomato sauce, along with the creaminess of the coconut milk bring a flavour to the scallops that sometimes can bring a bland taste if improperly seasoned while cooking.
12 medium scallops
¼ cup coconut milk
¼ cup basic pale tomato sauce or chunky paleo tomato sauce
1 cup tomatoes, diced
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
Fresh oregano, finely chopped and to taste
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 475F.
- In a medium skillet over a medium-high heat, sauté the onions in the coconut oil. Cook for several minutes, until the onion becomes slightly transparent. Add the minced garlic to the mix and cook on medium-low heat. Sauté for just a few minutes and then add the coconut milk and tomato sauce, followed by the oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix well and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Lay the scallops on the bottom of a semi-deep baking dish that is large enough that they do not overlap each other.
- Pour the coconut milk and tomato mixture on top of the scallops and ensure that they are all well coated. Finish it off by sprinkling the diced tomatoes over the scallops.
- Bake, uncovered, anywhere between 15 and 20 minutes. May need less time if the scallops are small, but be sure to check that they are cooked through. Cooking them too much is not a good idea either as overcooked scallops become very chewy.