Traditional cannelloni uses tube shaped pasta, instead it is replaced with thin eggplant slices. When working with eggplant slices is a little tricky, handle them carefully and take your time. The slices need to be thick enough that they will not fall apart when you start to roll them, yet still on the thin side. Keep an eye on the eggplant slices when baking in the oven, as you will run in to the same problem as having to thin of slices if they are overcooking, they should be taken out of the oven when they are just starting to brown. In the recipe below I have added two links for homemade paleo tomato sauce. One is a very basic paleo tomato sauce, the other paleo tomato sauce in my personal opinion is the better option to use for this recipe it has more substance and additional ingredients that will add amazing flavour to this Paleo Eggplant Cannelloni.
1 lb. ground beef or veal
2 eggplants, cut in slices lengthwise
4 shallots, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. fresh rosemary, minced
1 tsp. fresh oregano, minced
2 cups of basic paleo tomato sauce or paleo tomato sauce
4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- In a large skillet over a medium heat, warm 1 tbsp. of olive oil and sauté the ground beef with half the shallots, half of the garlic, the rosemary, and the oregano. Cook until the meat is evenly browned. Season to taste, and set aside.
- In a saucepan placed over a medium-low heat, warm 1 tbsp. of olive oil and sauté the remaining shallots and garlic until the shallots are soft.
- Add the tomato sauce to the shallot and garlic, combine well and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- While the sauce simmers, place the eggplant on a roasting pan and coat with olive oil on each side. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes, then let cool for 5 minutes.
- Once the eggplant slices are cool, place the meat mixture at the edge of each slice of eggplant and roll the eggplant around the meat. Place the eggplant cannelloni in a roasting pot, and cover with the tomato sauce.
- Place in the oven and cook for another 15 minutes. Serve.
Number of Servings: 4by