This paleo diet friendly pickle recipe is different from you typical store bought jars of pickles, they are naturally lacto-fermented kind is perfectly healthy, crunchy and sour. Full of garlic and dill flavour, and the garlic cloves used will lacto-ferment, packing them full of flavour and can be enjoyed afterwards on their own or as added flavour in another recipe.
1 gallon (16 cups) pickling cucumbers, non waxed
2 bunches fresh dill
16 cloves garlic, whole and peeled
3 tbsp pickling spices; peppercorns, mustard seeds, bay leaves, cloves
5 or 6 tbsp sea salt
- Soak the cucumbers in cold water for a few hours then scrub them thoroughly to prevent any mold from forming during the fermentation process.
- Place the cucumbers, dill, garlic and spices in your fermentation jar and sprinkle a bit of sea salt as you go along.
- Prepare a brine of 5 tablespoons sea salt to 8 cups water, making sure to stir well to dissolve the salt, and fill the
fermentation jar with the brine so it covers the cucumbers.
- Cover the jar, place it in a warm spot in your kitchen and allow the cucumbers to ferment for 5 to 10 days.
- A good way to know when it’s ready is to taste it during the fermentation process. It’s ready when you’re satisfied with the taste.