Paleo pancakes I’ve tried before were flat and tasteless, this recipe made fluffy and delicious pancakes. When I first made these the batter was a tad runny. I was afraid they were going to come apart and my first attempt was going to fail, that was definitely not the case. They came out terrific! Beautiful coconuty flavour but not a overwhelming amount of coconut, the raw and natural honey really adds that bit of needed sweetness. I have made this recipe a few times, once as I ran out of cream of tartar, however, I had a batch of my Paleo Baking Powder on hand. Therefore, I substituted the cream of tartar for 1/2 tsp of baking powder. Another time I did not have ghee on hand but did have a bit of lard for cooking the pancakes in, with both of these tweaks the pancakes still turned out wonderfully and did not change the taste or texture, and remained very fluffy.
2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 tbsp honey (raw, natural)
3 large eggs
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (Paleo Baking Powder)
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp sea salt
raw, natural, sugar-free maple syrup for serving
- Cream together the coconut oil and honey. Add the eggs one at a time.
- Add coconut milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add coconut flour. Mix until smooth.
- Lastly add cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Mix until just combine, overmixing will result in the cream of tartar and baking soda not working.
- Use a ladle or measuring cup and pour small amount of batter into a pan with ghee over medium heat.
- Flip once the bottom is a light brown colour, these pancakes will not bubble as much as the standard pancakes.
- Serve immediately with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Number of Servings: 8-10 Small Pancakesby