These mouth watering breadsticks have just the right combination of almond flour, coconut flour, and eggs. A true eye opener to how the simplest of appetizers and dinner sides can be paleo diet friendly as well as, gluten-free. The key to getting the stunning rich flavours to these breadsticks is adding that brush of melted ghee with minced garlic, basil, onion powder, and oregano just minutes before the baking process is complete. Opens up the natural taste and smell of the spices, enhancing the texture and flavour. Perfect for curbing that carb craving you get every now and then, just do not over indulge yourself!
1 1/3 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp salt (preferably sea salt)
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
3 tbsp coconut flour
1 clove garlic, minced
3 eggs, divided
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp baking powder*
Ghee, melted for brushing
*See Paleo Baking Powder Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk two eggs together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add the almond flour, baking powder, salt, and coconut oil and stir. Add the beaten eggs and stir to combine.
- Add the coconut flour into the bowl, one tablespoon at a time. After each tablespoon let the dough rest for a minute as the flour absorbs. Add the next tablespoon and repeat until you have dough that can be easily kneaded.
- Roll out the dough onto a separate piece of parchment paper. Working in small handfuls, roll the dough into a long rope. Twist the dough into your shape of choice and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the remaining egg and add a dash of water. Remove the breadsticks from the oven and brush with the egg wash, and then add the minced garlic, basil, onion powder and oregano.
- Return to the oven and bake for 4-5 minutes more, until golden. Brush with melted ghee before serving.
Number of Servings: 4-8 breadsticks (depending on size)by