When I am in need of a dessert for a special occasion, this cake is the one I always seem to fall back to. For the unique combination of tartness from the blueberries and lemon to the sweetness of the coconut flour . Of course the blueberries can be swapped out for any type of berries of your choosing. Blueberries were at their most flavourful when I decided on making this cake and loved the flavour so much I have just not wanted to try a different fruit. Though I have experimented with adding more layers of flavour by top this delicious cake with strawberries and raspberries. Delicious! After you taste this cake, it will leave you wanting to make a special occasion out of every day.
2/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup almond milk
1/4 cup honey (raw, natural)
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh blueberries, plus additional for topping
Coconut oil, for the pan
For the frosting:
3/4 cup coconut cream, chilled
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp honey (raw, natural)
Dash of vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch baking pan generously with coconut oil.
- Combine the coconut flour, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, almond milk, honey, vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest together.
- Add in the coconut flour mixture to egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before carefully flipping out of the pan.
- While the cake cools, blend together the coconut cream, lemon juice, vanilla, and honey until completely combined. Spread in an even layer on top of the cakes (once they have been flipped out of the pan).
- Top with additional blueberries if desired
Number of Servings: 6by