This Paleo Jambalaya is a hearty and full of protein recipe, a great dish to make for a group of friends or to make a pot for the entire week, good for lunches and dinners. Cauliflower rice is a great substitute for the traditional rice choice. When I serve this to my family for dinner I simmer half the cauliflower rice into the Jambalaya it really soaks up all the wonderful flavours and then serve the rest on the side, of course after cooking it in a separate pan. Now I really enjoy spicy food, with everything simmering together in this one pot meal, really makes for a deliciously spicy meal. All spices used can be adjusted to suit your comfort level.
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
8 oz. Andouille sausage, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
2 medium celery stalks, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, diced
15 ounces Paleo Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cumin
Dash of cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 large head of cauliflower, coarsely chopped*
coarse sea salt and pepper, to taste
Fresh cilantro, for garnish
*See Paleo Cauliflower Rice Recipe for more details if needed
- Heat the olive oil in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- Add the Andouille sausages and cook for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the red and yellow peppers, celery, garlic, and onion and stir. Cook for 4 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes, smoked paprika, dried thyme, cumin, cayenne pepper. Start with just a dash as more can be added later to make it spicier.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While that simmers, place the cauliflower into a food processor and pulse until it is reduced to the size of rice grains.
- Mix half the cauliflower rice to the jambalaya, simmer for about 12-15 minutes until cauliflower rice is tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste, add more of other spices if needed. Add the shrimp and cook everything for 5-7 minutes until the shrimp are opaque.
- Serve hot, with a portion of the other half of the cauliflower rice, and garnish with cilantro.
Number of Servings: 4-6by