The first thing I found hard to do with out when starting the paleo diet lifestyle was pizza. The amazing gooeiness of the melted cheese and crispy crust. Over the last little while I have come a crossed so many cauliflower rice crust recipes and decided what the hey, lets give it a try. To my amazement it was truly delicious. With a few tweaks finally it is finally here, a remarkable pizza with an outstanding crust filled with an aroma of spices, that smothering it in cheese should be a crime. With this recipes abundance of flavours, you will never miss the tradition pizza again. Be experimental with your toppings, in this recipe these are just my favourite vegetables and meat to use. The vegetables combinations are endless, jump right in and really make this recipe your own.
365ml Tomato Puree (homemade recipe)
1 head cauliflower
2 egg whites
1 tbsp coconut flour
1 medium onion
2/3 cup spinach
3 strips of bacon crumbled in to make 1/2 cup bacon bits (low sodium, all natural)
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp sage
crushed black pepper and coarse sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rinse and prepare cauliflower into a rice-like texture. Use a food processor or grate by hand with cheese grater.
- Put cauliflower “rice” in a large pot and steam till soft. Set aside and let cool.
- Take 3 strips of bacon, cook and shred into little bits.
- In a pan cook spinach until wilted, plate and set a side.
- Cut onion into rings and in same pan fry till soft and caramelized. Place on plate with spinach and set aside.
- In same pan heat up tomato sauce stirring in 1/2 tsp each of basil, oregano, garlic clove, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Take your cooled down cauliflower and add garlic powder, oregano, marjoram, thyme, rosemary, sage, 1/2 tsp basil,sea salt and pepper, eggs whites and coconut flour to bind it. Mix and separate into even portions.
- Mold each portion into a pie crust on your paper and place into hot oven.
- Cook crust for 15 minutes or until it feels firm, baking time depend on how thick and wet the cauliflower is. Keep oven on.
- Take crust out of oven and add warm sauce and layer your toppings.
- Place back in for few minutes to warm the topping back up before serving.