This is not a far off twist of your standard sloppy joes sandwich. Most sloppy joes are served on a hamburger buns, with this recipe you can serve it without paleo bread instead with a side salad or vegetables cooked the way of your preference. There are tons of paleo bread recipes that you can use to add a bit more substance to this meal. Personally the plantain paleo bread is my favourite. The plantain flavour is not over powering, it adds a delicious boost of flavour. The sloppy joes mix can be spread through the middle and slightly folded like a taco. Feel free to look into the other paleo bread recipes that I have here on this site. When it comes to the binding agent in this recipe you can use one of the three I listed below along with a link to homemade paleo diet friendly recipes.
1 lb Ground beef (or turkey)
1 Bell pepper (diced)
1 Onion (diced)
3 Celery stalks, diced
1 Garlic clove, minced
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Chili powder
2 cups Tomato sauce, Tomato Puree or Tomato Paste (choose your preference)
1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper (optional)
1/4 tsp Red pepper flake (optional)
Sea salt, to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Heat the coconut oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- Add the onion, pepper, and celery and sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the garlic, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned and cooked through.
- Add the tomato sauce and spices. Stir to combine. Scrape any bits off the bottom of the skillet.
- Cook on medium heat until the sauce thicken a bit, about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot with a side of steamed vegetables.
Number of Servings: 4by