This is one of my favourite recipes for a hearty lunch if you add the optional cauliflower rice, can be left out for a lighter lunch. Amazing option for a filling dinner dish, if served with cauliflower rice and a small side. When baking the stuffed peppers in the oven it is key not to burn or blacken the bottoms to much, this is why it is a nice touch to put enough tomato sauce on the base of the baking sheet to allow for the sauce to soak in to the peppers and some extra to spoon on the peppers for serving.
4 organic bell peppers
1 pound lean ground beef, sausage, or other ground meat of choice
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup corn kernels
2 medium celery stalks, diced
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
2 cups spinach
6 ounces Paleo Tomato Paste
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1 Tablespoon dried Basil
2 cup Basic Paleo Tomato Sauce
Optional: Paleo Cauliflower Rice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown the ground meat on the stove top in a medium sized frying pan with the Italian seasoning.
- Once the meat is brown add the onion, celery, corn and garlic and mix in. Allow it to all cook together for about 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach, mushrooms and tomato paste. Mix together and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Cut the tops off the bell peppers and cut out the ribs, you can dice up the tops and toss them in with the meat mixture.
- Place 1 cup of crushed tomatoes in the base of lipped baking sheet. Spoon the meat mixture into the hollowed out peppers, place now stuffed peppers in to the lipped baking sheet.
- Heat in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Cauliflower rice makes for an excellent side dish with these stuffed peppers, follow my Paleo Cauliflower Rice recipe while the stuffed peppers cook in the oven.
- Serve stuffed pepper on top of bead of cauliflower rice with a few tablespoons of tomato sauce on top of the peppers.