I have found when trying to live a paleo lifestyle diet that it is very easy to slip back in to old ways when trying to get variety and flavour into dishes. Sometimes it feels easier to just stop at a drive-thru. This is why on weekends I make tons of recipes in bulk like pestos, breads, salsas etc. When it comes to this recipe I prefer to use the Dark Paleo Pumpernickel Rye Bread, I always have different types of paleo breads on hand. Check out the tab titled Paleo Diet Plan for different bread recipes. This recipe is easy and hearty enough to have for breakfasts or lunches to tide you over until your next meal.
1/4 cup raw walnuts
1 lemon, squeezed
2 pinches fine black pepper
1 pinch cayenne
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp hot water
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
1 tsp nutritional yeast (optional for cheezy accent)
3 slices of Dark Paleo Pumpernickel Rye Bread, or bread of your choosing
1 avocado, sliced in to nine pieces
black pepper, to taste
coconut oil, melted
lemon juice, fresh
parsley, chopped for garnish
cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Toast your bread slices, and slice avocado.
- While bread is toasting, add all ingredients for the pesto in to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth with just a bit of a thick consistency like hummus.
- Add the pesto to the top of the toast, using 3 slices of avocado per slice of toast. Lay avocado on top of pesto layer.
- Drizzle melted coconut oil and fresh lemon juice over your assembled pesto avocado toast.
- Garnish with parsley and cilantro. Serve.