Now that is after Thanksgiving and all the pumpkin pie is gone, yet in my house everyone is still asking for more pumpkin inspired baked goods. Pumpkin purée is very much like a few other “secret” ingredients that have become very popular to bake with to help eliminate non paleo ingredients for healthier ingredients such as bananas and avocados. With that being said this delicious Pumpkin Paleo Squares With Dark Chocolate is moist and fudgy. In step two of the directions, I suggest mixing the chocolate in to the actual batter only, if you want to make it extra chocolaty/fudgy I would suggest to either grate or place smaller chunks of chocolate on top after batter has been spread in baking pan before being placed in oven. The ground cinnamon is said to be optional because not everyone is a fan of cinnamon, I did use it in my version of this recipe as it really adds that flavour level of the Fall season. Highly unlikely but if these Pumpkin Paleo Squares With Dark Chocolate are not finished off within 7 days, when stored in a proper air tight container they can be frozen up to a couple months, just remove from freezer and warm up in microwave for a brief amount of time for the right out of the oven taste.
2 cups blanched almond flour
½ cup flaxseed meal
½ cup raw coconut palm sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup pumpkin purée
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
⅓ cup (or more) dark chocolate chunks; preferably pure dark chocolate, make sure to check ingredient list.
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Mix together the almond flour, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, coconut palm sugar, chocolate chunks and salt
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg, pumpkin purée and vanilla extract
- Using a rubber spatula, gently mix dry and wet ingredients to form a batter being careful not to over mix or the batter will get oily and dense.
- Spoon the batter in to a 9-inch pan lined with parchment paper
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.