Now there is not a whole heck of a lot of paleo friendly binders for casseroles. Most traditional binders for casseroles are cream sauces, creamy canned soups, heavy creamer/milk, however, spaghetti squash makes the perfect binder for casseroles. More vegetables, ones of your choosing can be added to this casserole for a personal touch. To add nice touch to this spaghetti squash paleo casserole before baking it tossing a few handfuls of Italian seasoned paleo bread crumbs on top, for a delicious crumbly and crunchy crust.
1 spaghetti squash
1 lb lean ground beef
½ cup spinach, finely diced
20 cherry tomatoes, halved
½ red onion, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 egg, large
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp onion powder
½ tbsp coconut oil, melted or extra virgin olive oil
Italian Seasoned Paleo Bread Crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove seeds. Place cut side down on a baking sheet, and bake for 25 minutes.
- While squash is baking, brown ground beef over medium high heat. Drain, and set aside.
- While your squash and beef are cooking, prepare vegetables. In a large sauce pan, heat coconut oil and begin to saute red onion, tomatoes, and garlic. Add seasonings. Once onions begin to turn translucent, add spinach and cook down.
- Once squash is done, remove from oven and shred the meat of the squash with a fork. Add to pan with sauteed veggies. Add meat, and egg. Mix together thoroughly.
- Pour mixture inside a 9 x 9 baking dish, and cook at 400 for 15 minutes.