They say, pictures are worth a thousand words and one word this dish is, Dairy-Free. That’s right, Dairy-Free! Even though this casserole is Dairy-Free the secret ingredient leaves it still wonderfully creamy. With it’s golden colour and creamy texture bet you would never have guessed it was mashed butternut squash. When the coconut milk is added to the mashed butternut squash without overpowering it with a coconut taste, it adds a beautiful rich silkiness. Takes a bit of time to prepare this casserole, but once all the components are combine it cooks quite quickly.
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 1/2 cups cooked butternut squash (about 1 small squash)
1/2 cup coconut cream, skimmed from the top of a can of coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 heaping cup green peas, thawed
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tbsp fresh parsley, for garnish
- To prepare chicken bring a pot of water to a boil and drop in your fresh or frozen chicken. Make sure to cook enough chicken that it equals 2 cups when shredded, once cool enough to handle being to shred.
- Once the chicken is done rinse pot and refill with more water and bring to a boil, then drop in your butternut squash, cook until soft.
- In a large bowl, mash the butternut squash.
- Stir in the coconut cream, oil, vinegar, salt, oregano, and thyme. You may adjust the amount of coconut cream you add depending on how thick you want the casserole, the more coconut cream the creamier it will turn out.
- Once everything is combined, add in the shredded chicken and peas.
- Place the mixture into a large saucepan and cook over medium heat for 5-8 minutes, until the peas are cooked and butternut squash is creamy.
- Top with fresh parsley and serve warm.
Number of Servings: 4-5by