With the colder weather ever so quickly sneaking up on us, there is no better time to try out a very memorable soup recipe. While this is the season everyone seems to go crazy over pumpkin related recipes which I have posted my share of. This is also the best time to get outstanding flavourful wild mushrooms from your local farmers market and if lucky enough the grocery store. These mushrooms have such a beautifully fresh taste with a variety of flavours. That said I am sure you will keep this recipe in you cook book for quite some time. Now lets talk about the optional tapioca starch. All it does is thicken the soup, therefore, if you like the thick and creamy type of soup you will definitely want to use the optional tapioca starch. If you like a soup more on the thinner side but still creamy you can try only using 1 tbsp of tapioca starch, and for and even thinner do not use it at all. I have tried it all three ways, and depending on what you are craving at the time of making this delicious soup the choice is yours.
1 ½ lb. mixed wild mushrooms, sliced
2 large shallots, diced
1 tbsp fresh thyme
7 cups homemade paleo chicken broth
1 cup coconut milk
3 tbsp ghee
¼ cup parsley, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp tapioca starch
- Melt the ghee in a large saucepan placed over medium high.
- Add the shallots and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and thyme and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to medium-low, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, season to taste, and let simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tapioca starch if you like your soups thicker.
- Mix in the chopped parsley and serve.